Thursday, June 16, 2011

How We Came Together.

The first time I saw a vintage transit scroll used to decorate a home, I was smitten. I love public transit. I love bold, graphic text. It was a match made in heaven.

(via)

Then, as these things go, transit scrolls started popping up in every interior design blog home tour, prompting Apartment Therapy to ask, "Are vintage transit scrolls the new Keep Calm?" No matter. I was still in love.

Though I have been on the lookout for a vintage transit scroll since I first fell, I have never seen anything in person that made me want to plunk down my hard-earned cash. Scrolls I found being sold online were outrageously expensive. And, though I grew up near New York City and have traveled to England and Boston and Richmond, I prefer to display more personal items in my home. Nothing I saw seemed to fit.

As I was writing the post about decorating with vintage maps of meaningful locations, I realized I should create a print based on a vintage transit scroll. Using a bold font (Bebas) in black and white, I made a print that chronicles all the cities in which I have lived. I also made one showing my husband's migration.


When I looked at the images side-by-side, it made me smile to see where our paths had converged.

So then I made this:


As you can see, we are back in the town where we met. And there is no place I would rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment