Thursday, July 7, 2011

In Memory of Cy Twombly.

Artist Cy Twombly died at the age of 83 on Monday in Rome. I had the good fortune of seeing the exhibit The Natural World: Selected Works, 2000-2007 at the Art Institute of Chicago in 2009. I especially loved the rich tones in his Untitled, 2001 series, and was stunned by the scale and beauty of a series of untitled paintings he completed in 2004, my favorite being Untitled n°5, 2004. But I don't think I can understand the true color and magnitude of his Bacchus or Lepanto paintings until I experience them in person. Here's hoping for a trip to Munich to see them at the Brandhorst Collection.

Untitled, 2001
(via)
Hero and Leandro, 1985
(via)
Bay of Naples, 1961
(via)
Miramare by the Sea, 2005
(via)
The Rose (II), 2008
(via)
The Rose, Gagosian Gallery
(via)
Bacchus Psilax Mainomenos, Gagosian Gallery
(via)
Brandhorst Collection, Munich
(via)

No comments:

Post a Comment