Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Training Tuesdays: 07.05.11.

Note to self: If a severe thunderstorm wakes you up at 4:00 on the morning of a long run, lasts an hour and a half, knocks your building's power out at 5:45, which prevents you from getting your car out of the garage at 6:20 for a 6:30 run, do not think that you can grab your bike, ride 4 miles in pouring rain to the start of the run and catch your pace group before they leave.

I'm going to blame the unexpected early rise here, but I was not thinking straight on Sunday. In a fit of nerves about having to do a 13-mile run alone, I thought getting to my group run somehow, anyhow, even 15 minutes late, would be better than just setting off on a 6.5 miles down, 6.5 miles back course through Rock Creek Park by myself. What ended up happening was that I stressed myself out, tired myself with an unnecessary (and hilly, might I add) bike ride, and still ended up running alone. Genius.

When I got to the trail head, I thought that if I could catch my group or even catch a slower pace group I would run the entire route with them. Then I realized that in my tizzy I had not grabbed my Metro card. I did not have cash. I did not have a credit card. I did not have my cell phone. If I ran the entire 13 miles with my group, I would be riding my bike home. No thank you. I made the decision to run 4.5 miles down the trail, 4.5 miles back and then 4 miles home. This was, by far, my best decision of the day (other than later when I decided to take a 4 hour nap). The run went well, even though I had some difficulty keeping a consistent, slow pace. I averaged about 20 seconds/mile faster than what I run with my group. My first mile was my fastest - about 70 seconds/mile faster than my long slow pace. I blame the bike ride. My legs had to shake out for a few miles before they felt normal. Mile 13 was my second fastest.

Because of the added stress I put on myself on Sunday, and because of the 12 miles of biking and 5 miles of walking we did yesterday, I am giving myself an option to skip today's run. It is certainly not going to happen this morning. Maybe tonight. Maybe on the treadmill. Maybe in my dreams.

This is my running schedule for the rest of the week:


No comments:

Post a Comment