Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Training Tuesdays: 08.16.11.

Ugh. This is what last week's training schedule ended up looking like:


After slogging through 11 total miles in the Florida heat and humidity, and feeling, if not great, then at least okay, I got taken out by a nasty sinus infection. I woke up on Friday morning with a screaming sore throat (and skipped my planned 7-miler) and just got worse and worse and worse over the weekend. I hung in there for our 6:30am flight back north on Saturday, but started dying a little in the two hour car ride into Pennsylvania to pick the Charlie up from my parents/dogsitters. In a bout of frustration, discomfort and pain, I made the excellent decision to take a generic Nyquil-type drug purchased at a Love's truck stop, then spent the next 16 hours hallucinating in a drug-induced coma. I woke up at 5:30am Sunday, thinking that it would be about the time I would be getting ready for my long run, which this week was starting at the Metro station next to where I live. At 6:35, I started hearing noise outside, and walked to our deck to see the pace groups running down my street, only a few hundred feet into an 18-miler. I was bummed. But I was also congested, nauseous and woozy from the last traces of truck stop Nyquil. I stretched out on the couch, read a book until I fell back asleep, and felt fine about missing the run.

Today, I am feeling much much better. Still not 100%, but good enough to try to get a little jog in. I put in a total of six miles, five running, on the treadmill this morning: 2.5 miles at 10:40 pace, 0.5 mile walking, 2.5 at 10:30 pace, 0.5 walking. It didn't feel great, but I'm happy to have done it. I'm hoping I'll be well enough to continue with my planned weekly training schedule. Which is:


Since I've been feeling less than stellar, I'm going to save any talk of food and post-run nutrition for next week. For now, I'm going to go snug up on the couch with a good library book.

No comments:

Post a Comment